Ontario’s released its first-ever hydrogen strategy discussion paper on 2020-11-19 and requested public comment by 2021-01-18.
- Province Begins Development of Ontario's First-Ever Hydrogen Strategy | Ontario Newsroom
- Torys LLC: New hydrogen discussion paper first step in Ontario’s hydrogen strategy
The discussion paper set out a vision for a new hydrogen economy in the province, with the hope that it would attract investment, and lead to more job creation, while helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions using low-carbon hydrogen. This strategy aimed to eventually help Ontario achieve its greenhouse gas reduction target. The province hopes to achieve the following goals for its hydrogen strategy:
- help lower greenhouse gas emissions;
- support a reliable and affordable energy system in Ontario;
- help the hydrogen sector in Ontario tap into growing global demand for hydrogen and hydrogen-related solutions; and
- reduce regulatory barriers and support partnerships with the private sector, academia and other governments.